A Peek At The Dell Latitiude 2100 Touch Screen Netbook
Dell isn’t one that likes to be left behind and they jumped right in on the recent mini laptop craze. It seems that there really is a place for little netbooks in the mobile computing marketplace. Dell has several in their product line and now they have a Dell touch screen netbook as well.
The Dell Latitude 2100 is build tough and that’s a good thing since Dell has targeted young school children with this touch screen laptop. It’s a bit heavier and bigger than most netbooks on the market today. It measures in at 10.4 x 7.4 x 0.9–1.6 inches and weighs 3.4 pounds. The screen is a 10 inch resistive touch screen.
Because Dell understands that children can be hard on electronic equipment, they build the 2100 with a rubberized cover to add some shock absorbency and grip so that it’s less likely to be dropped by clumsy third graders. It is also available with an optional built in handle.
Since this model is designed to be used by school children, Dell added an interesting feature that I haven’t seen before. There is a light on the cover that lights up when the laptop is connected to the Internet. The reason for this is so that teachers can instantly see if their students are connected to the Internet and playing around on Facebook or MySpace when they are supposed to be typing a paper. This is pretty clever if you ask me!
To make it appeal to its targeted market even more, Dell made the touch screen netbook available in five colors. They are Chalkboard Black, School Bus Gold, Blue Ribbon, Ball Field Green, and School House Red.
Let’s have a look at the guts of the Dell Latitude 2100.
- Operating System – Windows 7, Vista, XP Professional, or Linux 8.10
- CPU – Intel 945 GS Express
- Display 10.1 ” WSVGA (1024 x 600) LED resistive touch screen
- Navigation – Touch pad and Touch Screen
- Memory – 1GB integrated RAM and one memory slot makes it upgradable to up to 2GB total RAM
- Ports – 3 USB, VGA, mic, headphone/speaker out
- Hard Drive – Either a 16GB Solid State Drive or a 250GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
- Graphics – Integrated GMA 950
- Communications – Ethernet, 802.11a/g/n 2×2 WiFi, and Bluetooth
- External Media – 8x DVD RW
- Card Reader – 3 in 1
- Battery – 3 cell or 6 cell lithium ion polymer
- Multimedia – 2 speakers, digital microphone, optional VGA camera
- Dimensions – 10.43 x 7.46 x 1.57 inches
- Weight – 3.4 lbs
This little netbook isn’t by any means a hotshot in the touch screen market but it’s still a neat little computer. At $499 it’s not the cheapest netbook out there but hey, this one has a touch screen! Battery run time tests resulted in about 6 hours which is certainly respectable. The screen can’t be rotated and folded flat to function in tablet mode like many touch screen laptops. The Dell Latitude 2100 might just be the perfect laptop computer for your grade school aged children. For about $30 extra, Dell will even ship it with an anti-microbial coating on the keyboard. They really were thinking about children when they designed this little mini laptop.
Thanks for checking out touch screen laptop info. Be sure and visit us again soon!